Tuesday 16 September 2014

Another poem to try out…today? Tomorrow?

A Whale Got On My Bus




I was on a bus

and a whale got on.

The recorded announcement said:

‘Please move down the bus

so that there is room for passengers

getting on the bus.

Please move down the bus

so that there is room for passengers

getting on the bus.’




We moved down the bus

and the whale squeezed in

and the doors closed.




I was next to the whale,

it said,

‘Sorry, I’m dripping.’

‘No worries,’ I said,

‘same thing happens to me

when I’m wearing my waterproof coat.’

‘What this much?’ said the whale.

I didn’t want to make the whale feel bad

so I said,

‘Well, yes actually.’

‘Do people complain?’ the whale said.

And I lied,

I said,

‘Yes,’ when in actual fact no one

had ever complained.

‘I can’t see all the way round the back of me,’

the whale said, ‘could you look to see

if I’m dripping over everyone back there?’

‘Sure,’ I said and I looked.

People were getting showered.

‘There’s a bit of dripping going on,’ I said.

‘I knew it,’ said the whale.

‘Do you have a towel on you?’

‘No,’ I said, ‘I don’t usually carry a towel around.’

‘Well,’ said the whale, ‘isn’t that typical!’

‘Is it?’ I said.

‘You get on a bus, you’re dripping wet

you ask for a bit of help, a bit of sympathy

and all you get is nastiness.

What is it with people, these days?’

‘I’m sorry,’ I said, ‘I just don’t have a towel.’




And then it all went quiet.

It was all a bit tense.

Awkward.




All you could hear was a

dripping sound.



Drip, drip, drip,drip...