Thursday 8 March 2012

4000 11-year olds with no secondary place yet.

On March 1st, four thousand children in London found out that they hadn't got in to any of the 6 secondary schools they had put on their application form.

I don't know how that translates nationally, but the sum total in England alone must be at least three times that, unless Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Leeds and Newcastle are all much better at building schools in anticipation of more children reaching the age of 11. After all, it's not a surprise, is it?

Apparently, places will be found (said a spokesperson etc etc).

I hope the papers do some digging between now and September monitoring some of these families to see what actually happens.

As this is a blog - and supposedly the newspaper of the future etc etc, if you know of any interesting stories on all this, then do let me know. My email for this sort of thing is on the top right hand corner of my website which is:  www.michaelrosen.co.uk