Sunday 8 January 2012

Winners, losers, capitalism and 'equality of opportunity'

Here the Guardian's Deborah Orr considers whether there can be equality of opportunity under a system with inbuilt winners and losers. Apart from anything else, it's interesting that she's identified the front (some would say, effrontery) of the new Tory rhetoric which is to hijack 'freedom', 'equality' and 'fairness' as it institutes one of the most unfair, most exploitative, most unequal regimes of recent times.

The comments that come after Deborah Orr's article are worth a read, but I would say that because I got stuck in myself about 500 times. And as I write this, it's still running, but I suspect that the mods will switch it off soon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/06/deborah-orr-welfare-winners-losers