Friday 31 August 2018

My Mum and the Flower

My Mum and the Flower

My dad said that my mum 
had some secrets.
‘One time’, he said, 
‘when she was a girl
at school they said that
it was ‘Harvest Festival’
and all the children had to bring in flowers.

Well, remember,’ said my dad,
‘your mother’s family were very poor,
they couldn’t just go out and buy flowers
and they didn’t have a garden
they just had a back yard.
Now all this made your mother 
ashamed. 
She didn’t want to be the kid in the class
who didn’t bring in flowers.
And she wanted to fit in.
So, do you know what she did?
She slipped into the Park,
 the one just in front of the 
Bethnal Green Museum
and she nicked a flower.
Now, don’t tell her I’ve told 
you that. 
She still feels bad about it
but you see she was so worried
about going to school and
being the only one who didn’t have 
a flower that she was desperate.
So she nicked one from the park.
Now don’t tell her I told
you about it.
And don’t ever tell anyone, will you?’

‘No.’

Oh I have.